Friday, January 30, 2009

Potato Skins a la Velveeta

These potato skins are just flat out awesome. If you are looking for a low fat version, I can not give you one. It would be a travesty to do such a thing to a potato skin. These are filled with butter, sour cream, bacon and two kinds of Velveeta. These will probably just osmosis right to your thighs, but it's worth it. I promise.

I'm going to give you the basics of the recipe and then you can adjust quantities for however many potato skins you want to make. And I don't have to tell you that you will get two potato skins per potato because you are smart that way.

Potato Skins A La Velveeta

Potatoes (either baking or Yukon Gold)
1 pkg bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 16oz carton of sour cream (NOT fat free)
1 pkg regular Velveeta
1 pkg Mexican Velveeta
Real butter
Salt and pepper

Bake the potatoes and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut in half and scoop out most of the inside, leaving some potato on the skin. To assemble, spread a small amount of butter over inside of skin. Then layer, salt, pepper, bacon, sour cream, Mexican Velveeta and regular Velveeta. Repeat until all skins are filled. Bake at 400 until cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes.

The reserved potato can be made into mashed potatoes. Now that is a win-win situation.

3 comments:

  1. How do I love thee, let me count the ways...

    Awesome, my friend! Pure awesomeness! My super bowl party's gonna' rock!

    WHy don't you link this in my comment section since I don't know how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, I posted all over the place. Everyone is going to be having a glutinous gorge-fest of Velveeta potato skins this weekend. Even the mafia - so all your family will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The maffia will now have your back after these delish skins!

    ReplyDelete