Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hamburger Vegetable Soup (Low Fat)


This food blog has been a challenge to me because I am a very 'fly by the seat of my pants' type of cook. I throw in this or that, season to taste and don't really think much about the amount of ingredients I use. I don't treat food as a science, it's more of a relationship of seasonings, textures and pleasing others. Sherri asked for some hamburger recipes and this is a soup that I like to throw together when it's bitterly cold outside (such as today when it's snowing) and I need something to warm everyone up.

Hamburger Vegetable Soup

1 pound extra lean ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
Dash of red pepper
1 small sweet onion, chopped
2 large celery stalks, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
1 14oz can diced Italian tomatoes
3 14oz cans low fat beef broth
2 cups water
2 cups whole wheat egg noodles or bow tie pasta

In a large stock pan brown hamburger with onions and garlic. Add seasoned salt, cumin, paprika, red pepper and stir until seasoning are well incorporated. Add carrots, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring often for about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add noodles, cover and simmer until noodles are tender (about 10 minutes). Serve with a crusty loaf of sourdough bread for dipping.

**I put the leftovers in individual serving containers, freeze and take to work for lunch.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much!

    This soup is very representational for the fab 5-
    *Hungarian Paprika- Helen (of course)

    *Sweet Onion (Beth, for obvious reasons)

    (I'd be the Italian tomato)

    Thank you- I'll think of all my blogger gal pals when I eat it!

    * Extra lean grond beef (Annie- the most fit gal in the bunch)

    *seasoned salt (Mare- whose "salt" will be the most seasoned of us all due to her daily ministering she has been called to do)

    *red pepper (Katdish, who else?)

    *Bow tie pasta (Steph- cause, if she were a guy, I could see her wearin' a bow tie!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I said fab 5 and there are 7 of us. I can count, but I just like the sound of it.

    However, I don't know why my little phrase ended up in the middle of the list.

    Freaky computer!

    At least it didn't freeze up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! That's awesome Sherri. I've got to come up with a Fab '5'..er...'7' dish created just for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 goathead
    1 bag of halloween candy
    1 box of pasta
    1 package of chopped Velveeta
    1 chicken carcass
    3 tsps of Paprika
    1 box of animal crackers



    How does that do for representing you all's blogs?

    ReplyDelete