Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hungarian Mushroom Soup


I was out with the girls a few nights ago and the soup du jour was Hungarian Mushroom Soup. I have never had this before and I'm glad I tried it. If you are a fan of mushrooms this is a pretty awesome soup and it's easy to make. This would be a great addition to a Sunday brunch.

Hungarian Mushroom Soup
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 Large sweet onion, chopped
1 Lb. small mushrooms
2 Cups chicken broth
1 Cup milk
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Paprika (I doubled this)
1 Teaspoon fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons of dried)
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Teaspoons lemon juice

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter (4-5 minutes). Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes.

Stir in broth, paprika, soy sauce and dill. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

In a separate bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in salt, pepper, lemon juice and sour cream. Mix together and heat over low heat about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I am with you. Always start by doubling the paprika in any recipe, unless you got it from a bona fide Hungarian, or his daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I'll have to request it with my personal chef. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I came over from your friend Sheri's site to say Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! Hope somebody cooks you something delicious for your special day;-)

    ReplyDelete