Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Three Bean Salad

My mom used to make a three bean salad that was a favorite around the house.  A friend asked me to bring the recipe, and since I was typing it out anyway, I thought I'd share it over here, too!

Three Bean Salad

Salad
2 cans of yellow beans, drained
2 cans of green beans, drained
2 cans of kidney beans, drained
1 red and / or green pepper, cleaned, rinsed, and sliced
1 red onion, sliced and salted (Mom used a regular Vidalia onion, but I think a red one is prettier)

Place above ingredients in a bowl and mix together.

Dressing (or "juice" as Mom called it)
2 cups of sugar (I use Splenda™ instead so it is more diabetic friendly)
2 cups of apple cider vinegar
2 cups of water
2 capfulls  of extra virgin olive oil (Mom used Vegetable oil, but I prefer olive oil)

Mix the above ingredients well in a bowl.   Taste and add more Splenda™ if it isn't sweet enough for you.  Pour over the bean mixture.  Place in the refrigerator and let it marinate for at least six hours.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great summertime dish. I hadn't even considered it, but I do like 3 bean salad. I like to put it on lettuce as a matter of fact!

    ReplyDelete